This job is closed
We regret to inform you that the job you were interested in has now been closed. Although this specific position is no longer available, we encourage you to continue exploring other opportunities on our job board.
About the position
The Tax Technology team at Justworks is seeking a Data Engineering Manager to lead the development and delivery of data pipelines for wage and tax data. The successful candidate will collaborate with the team to design and implement foundational data infrastructure, partner with Product to define and execute the team’s long-term strategy, and mentor engineers to help them grow their technical skills. The ideal candidate will have 8+ years of experience in a Data Engineering role, with a focus on building data pipelines and models, and a minimum of 1 year of experience managing or leading a team of engineers that have shipped mission critical software. Expertise in programming languages commonly used in the data engineering community such as Python or Scala, and their respective data processing and analytics packages, is required.
- Lead the development process and delivery of data pipelines that power tax computation, withholding, and reporting for Justworks customers
- Collaborate with the team to design and implement the foundational data infrastructure, taking an active, hands-on role in coding and guiding the team as we scale
- Partner with Product to define and execute the team’s long-term strategy and quarterly roadmap, including setting goals and measuring progress/success towards them
- Mentor engineers to help them grow their technical skills by fostering a culture of technical excellence, innovation and continuous learning
- Define and implement engineering best practices and processes to improve team efficiency and productivity
- Conduct code reviews, identify and resolve technical issues and ensure code quality and scalability
- Communicate and coordinate with other teams (in and outside of engineering) to understand the requirements and opportunities for improvement
- Attract, hire, and retain an amazing team of high-caliber data engineers
- Develop deep subject matter expertise in payroll taxation so that our data stakeholders don’t have to
- Help drive sound technical decision-making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Justworks
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- 8+ years of experience in a Data Engineering role, with a focus on building data pipelines and models.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience managing or leading a team of engineers that have shipped mission critical software
- Strong foundational knowledge in and experience with relational databases, data warehouses, data modeling, and ETL pipelines
- Expertise in programming languages commonly used in the data engineering community such as Python or Scala, and their respective data processing and analytics packages
- Strong knowledge of batch and streaming systems, workflow orchestration, monitoring and testing using systems such as Airflow, Spark Streaming, and Kafka.
- Strong experience with governing data security and compliance
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done and setting appropriate deadlines and milestones to advance business objectives
- Ability to strike the right balance between competing product and engineering priorities to ensure the team delivers the right value to our customers
- Thrives in a collaborative environment where the best ideas win and can lead the the team to get behind them to achieve the desired outcome
- Fosters an engineering culture that distills simple solutions out of complicated problems and good judgment to select the right tools for the job
- Track record of recruiting and retaining world-class engineers necessary to build high performance engineering teams preferred