This job is closed
We regret to inform you that the job you were interested in has now been closed. Although this specific position is no longer available, we encourage you to continue exploring other opportunities on our job board.
About the position
The job overview for the Controls Engineer - VA position is to support in-house and outsourced equipment development, as well as refine existing automation equipment. The role involves working with a team to ensure the consistency and smooth operation of factory automation across all suppliers. Responsibilities include participating in equipment conceptual development, creating electrical control panels, writing and debugging PLC ladder logic, implementing safety systems, and managing electrical cabinet builds. The Controls Engineer will also be involved in the validation and refinement of automated processes, as well as the development and implementation of assembly lines. The ideal candidate should have a Bachelor's Degree, 4+ years of experience in controls and automation, and a strong familiarity with Siemens TIA Portal.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and balance product specifications, process control requirements, layout complexity, cost, quality, and lead-time limits.
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels that are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant and create electrical, pneumatic, and fluid schematics.
- Architect, write, and debug PLC ladder logic with an emphasis on generating organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and reusable code.
- Implement control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high-volume manufacturing equipment.
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and fluid plumbing.
- Select and size electrical and electromechanical components such as servos.
- Introduce automated processes into production and train Maintenance and Production Teams to support after deployment into production.
- Create machine interactions with plant-wide Manufacturing Execution System (MES) to communicate product acceptability, machine status, and process variables.
- Participate in specification and standard creation, release to Vendor, and quote technical evaluation for outsourced automation equipment development.
- Enforce application of standards and manage suppliers during specification, design review, and design approval.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution at Vendor and at the factory during installation and buy-off.
- Characterize and validate new automated process equipment for deployment into production.
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time, improve availability, and yield.
- Characterize and validate automated processes using a data-driven approach such as simulation, Capacity and Capability statistical test (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility test, Cpk, etc).
- Create detailed utility layouts for entire assembly lines and interface with facilities teams for implementation.
- Create data management and tracking communications network architecture and interface with cross-functional teams for product, processes, and quality traceability control implementation.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent training and education
- 4+ years of experience in controls and automation
- Proven knowledge + expertise, and passion for factory automation
- Strong familiarity with Siemens TIA Portal
- Demonstrated excellence in programming PLCs and Safety PLC
- Fieldbus Networking experience (Ethernet i/p, ProfiNET....)
- Familiarity with electrical prints for industrial equipment
- Project Experience in same or similar industry
- Excellent communication skills and team-working tendencies
- A penchant for multi-tasking and self-starting
- A genuine fascination for the industrial automation field
- Equity grants for every employee
- Healthcare + dental + vision benefits (Free for you/discounted for family)
- 401(k) options
- Relocation assistance + reimbursement
- Casual dress code + relaxed work environment
- Culturally diverse, progressive atmosphere
- "Soul of Faraday" community outreach team
Dev & Engineering
This is some text inside of a div block.