This job is closed
We regret to inform you that the job you were interested in has now been closed. Although this specific position is no longer available, we encourage you to continue exploring other opportunities on our job board.
About the position
Variant Bio is seeking a bioinformatician with expertise in developing and running computational pipelines for the analysis of human genomic and transcriptomic data. The ideal candidate should have experience with pipeline development and working with AWS, as well as analyzing large-scale, whole-genome, and transcriptome datasets. They will be part of a growing team of computational biologists and will collaborate with software engineers and cloud architects to automate workflows and build infrastructure. Variant Bio is committed to increasing the inclusion of underrepresented populations in genomic research, making this a core mission of the company.
- Run, maintain, and add to bioinformatics methods and workflows for analysis of large-scale data using AWS cloud compute.
- Process and analyze whole genome and exome sequencing data from diverse populations, including variant calling, imputation, and extensive quality control.
- Process and analyze bulk and single-cell transcriptomic data, including expression quantification, splicing quantification, and differential expression analysis.
- Work with software engineers and cloud architects to automate workflows and build robust infrastructure.
- Disseminate results internally and contribute to presentations and publications.
- Masters degree with 2+ years, or Bachelors degree with 4+ years of relevant work experience in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics, computer science, or a related field.
- Experience processing large-scale WGS data using standard bioinformatics software packages, such as FASTQC, BWA, GATK, samtools, bedtools, bcftools, etc. Experience working with RNA-seq data and relevant software packages is a plus.
- Strong programming skills and experience with high performance computing; proficiency in bash, Python, R; experience programming in Java/C++ preferred.
- Experience with cloud-based computing on AWS.
- Opportunity to be part of an early-stage startup in a rapid growth phase.
- Competitive salary and equity package.
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, and life insurance.
- 401(k) plan that includes an automatic 3% employer contribution.
- Flexible paid time off.
- Choice of public transportation (Orca Card) provided by the company or subsidized parking.
- Central Eastlake location in a brand new Alexandria building with modern facilities.
- Anticipated annual base salary for this position is $90,000 - $120,000 plus up to 10% bonus and an options package, for total compensation of up to $99,000 - $132,000, plus equity options.