How to Use Google’s Bard to Make an AI Resume
Are you struggling to create personalized resumes during your job search and considering Google's Bard to help you out?
Bard is an impressive AI-driven chatbot that might just revolutionize how people search for information (as with everything AI-related, only time will tell). It’s helping users create content, research topics, grow their business, and, sometimes, write a resume.
That’s why, in this post, we're going to teach you how to make a Bard AI resume.
But first, we’re going to get clear on:
- What Bard is
- How it's different from other chatbots (like ChatGPT)
- And what you need to know to get the most from the platform
What is Google Bard?
Bard is a conversational AI chatbot developed by Google using machine learning and natural language processing (NLP) techniques. It’s designed to mimic the style and structure of human writing by generating responses to various prompts.
Bard is powered by the LaMDA large language model and was trained on a massive dataset of text and code. Large language models are advanced artificial intelligence (AI) systems that can understand, generate, and accurately mimic human language.
The language model most readers will be familiar with is GPT-4, the engine that powers ChatGPT. Bard is Google’s response to ChatGPT as the search giant fights to compete with Bing.
But Google’s Bard is designed to supercharge your research and bring your ideas to life.
People already use Bard to help them create all kinds of things, like video scripts, social posts, emails, and more.
It’s easy to see why it would be just as helpful for creating an impactful resume, which is exactly what we’ll teach you to do by the end of this post.
Is Google Bard available to the public?
Yes and no.
Google Bard is still available to the public as an experiment. Google opened up the waitlist for users in the USA and UK to try Bard, though many users gain access within 24 hours.
How to sign up for Google Bard
Joining the waitlist for Google Bard is easy! Simply follow along with these three steps:
1) Go to Bard’s homepage
2) Click “Join Waitlist”
3) Sign into your Gmail account
And just like that, you’ll be on the waitlist to experiment with Google Bard. Again, wait times vary, but many users have had access quickly.
Google Bard vs. ChatGPT: What’s the difference?
Bard and ChatGPT are AI chatbots; at a basic level, most users will have a similar experience with both platforms.
That said, they differ in two ways: focus and data source.
Bard is designed to improve research and understanding across education, business, and other fields. ChatGPT focuses more on text functions and delivering conversational output.
The other main difference between ChatGPT and Bard comes down to the data source.
Bard draws directly from the internet, providing users with the latest information and quick access to Google’s traditional search engine. ChatGPT's sources end with data from 2021, so it is limited to older research and information.
If pressed to oversimplify two very technical tools, you could think about them like this:
- Bard is a better research assistant than ChatGPT, and it can also handle complex writing tasks
- ChatGPT is a better writing assistant, but it shouldn’t be fully trusted with research
But remember, the field of AI is evolving fast, and both platforms will likely see major improvements as they fight for their market share (Google is already rumored to replace Bard with a revolutionary search tool, Project Magi).
To stay up-to-date with the latest in how AI can help your job hunt, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel to watch informative videos and sign up for our weekly newsletter.
Can Bard AI make a resume?
Yes, Google Bard can help you write sections of your resume. Its natural language processing abilities allow it to generate text for your professional summary, work experience/achievements, and skills.
But it’s important to note that your resume is more than just a collection of text.
The formatting and structure of a resume are also crucial in making it effective in landing your next interview.
In that regard, while Bard can help with text generation for your resume, it won’t take job seekers as far as a resume builder or the assistance of a professional resume writer.
Best practices for using Bard AI for your resume
Give Bard context around your professional history and experience
Feeding your current resume into Bard will help it understand your specific skills/qualifications and generate a more accurate resume.
Unfortunately, Google Bard only works with text-based input, meaning it can’t read PDF files. That means you’ll need to enter the information from your existing resume manually, polish the content with Google Bard, and re-format it on another platform.
If this sounds like an annoying process, that’s because it kind of is.
It’s one of the reasons why we highly encourage you to take advantage of our free AI Resume Builder.
You can quickly change the content and structure of your resume to personalize it for specific roles. Plus, you can use our built-in AI to get the same type of output as you would from Bard.
This makes it the ideal solution for creating resumes and applying to multiple jobs as you work to secure your next interview.
Make your AI prompts clear for the best output
When you ask Bard to generate a resume, be specific about what you want. For example, you can tell Bard the type of job you are applying for, the skills you want to highlight, and the format you want your resume to be in.
Try the following prompt:
"I am applying for the position of [job title]. Analyze my current resume and tell me which resume format I should use for that role and what skills I should highlight to stand out from other applicants."
There are two downsides to this approach that you should be aware of, both come back to Bard’s limitations.
First, you’ll have to copy and paste your existing resume into Bard (it won’t upload PDFs, but more on that in the next section).
To help you get the most out of these AI tools, we've compiled the best ChatGPT prompts to use for you resume.
Second, you’ll still need to format the output manually, but Teal can take care of this for you.
Verify the information provided by Bard is accurate
This is the most important part when working with any AI chatbot.
Verify that Bard's output is accurate, especially when dealing with personal experience/achievements.
Bard is a powerful tool, but it’s not perfect.
Be sure to verify the information Bard provides before using it in your resume.
Now that we’ve learned more about what Bard is and a general idea of how you can use it, let’s dive into the specifics.
In the rest of this post, we’ll look at how to use Bard for:
- A professional summary
- Resume achievements
- Resume skills
- Cover letter
Since Bard doesn’t format your resume, we’ll use Teal’s AI Resume Builder in many parts of this tutorial. That way, we can standardize our advice with a free and easy solution to quickly format your resumes.
Before diving into the next steps, now is a good time to create your free Teal account if you haven't already.
How to use Bard AI for a professional summary
A professional summary, or short professional bio, is important because it can be the make-or-break factor that captures a hiring manager's attention. Ultimately, an effective professional summary helps you stand out in the competitive job market and increases your chances of landing an interview.
Follow these steps:
1. Take your current resume (you’ll need to copy and paste this into Bard manually).
2. Use the following prompt: "Create a professional summary based on my resume."
3. Paste your resume into Bard after the prompt.
4. If you’re unhappy with the initial output, it is perfectly acceptable if you asked Bard to "try again".
5. Choose your favorite phrases from each option and assemble a cohesive, insightful, personalized, and attention-grabbing professional summary.
For a deeper dive into this process, check out this in-depth guide with the best resume summary examples we could find.
How to use Bard for resume achievements
The achievements section of a resume is one of the most important parts. It showcases your proven success and unique value to potential employers. This section sets you apart from other candidates and helps a hiring manager see the tangible benefits you’ll bring to their organization.
Note: This section assumes you’ve entered your resume into Bard from the last step. If you haven‘t done so, to avoid incorrect information, you’ll need input your resume into Bard to generate an accurate description of your achievements.
And as mentioned before, Bard doesn’t format your resume for you, so we’ll be using Teal's AI Resume Builder to show you a free and easy solution to customize and format your resume.
Follow these steps:
1. Launch "Matching Mode" in your Teal AI Resume Builder and choose a job from your Job Application Tracker to concentrate on.
2. Head over to the "Job Description" tab and navigate to the "Job Description" section.
3. Copy the job description and paste it into Bard. Enter this prompt: "Craft resume accomplishments with metrics based on this job description."
4. Copy the output from Bard and, one by one, paste them as accomplishments examples into your Teal AI Resume Builder.
5. Thoroughly proofread and edit the accomplishments, fine-tuning them as necessary. You want to confirm that you genuinely have the experience Bard claims you do, and you need to double-check for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and clarity.
6. Enable or disable the accomplishments that align with the job you're applying for.
This approach is OK, but it’s a bit clunky.
An easier way would be simply using the generative AI in Teal’s AI Resume Builder. That way, you don’t have to copy/paste and jump around between tabs. Instead, with just a click, you can have personalized achievements written for you that are customized based on your experience and the role you’re applying for.
How to use Bard for resume skills
Resume skills are important because they give employers a clear idea of your abilities and strengths. It's a great way to showcase your unique talents, making you a more memorable candidate in a sea of applicants.
How to do it:
1. Launch “Matching Mode” in your Teal AI Resume Builder and choose a job from your Job Application Tracker.
2. Find the job posting and copy the original description.
3. Paste the job description and the following prompt into Bard AI: "What relevant skills should I include in my resume for the position of [job title]? Here is a description of the role: [paste the original job posting here]"
4. Polish the results and select which skills you want to include on your resume. Open Teal’s AI Resume Builder and add them to the skills section of your resume one at a time.
The key here is to personalize the skills you include in your resume to the job you’re applying to. While Bard can help, you get even more insightful tips from Teal’s job descriptions.
The tool will highlight the skills you need to include for each position, including hard skills, soft skills, and emphasis words:
You can then transform these keywords/phrases into relevant skills for your resume.
How to create your cover letter with Google Bard
Much like customized resumes, cover letters should emphasize your relevant accomplishments for the role you want. When done well, a strong cover letter will go a long way in convincing hiring managers that you have what it takes for the role in question.
Creating great cover letters may seem complex, but it doesn't have to be.
Follow these steps:
1. After using "Matching Mode" to develop a resume tailored to a specific role in your Teal Job Application Tracker, copy the text from that resume and paste it into Google Bard.
2. Return to your Job Application Tracker and access the job description for this role. Copy and paste the requirements and responsibilities into Google Bard alongside your resume.
3. For the prompt, write, "Compose a cover letter using my resume and a job description." Paste each below the prompt.
4. Refine your new cover letter in Google Docs as necessary before saving and submitting it.
Did you know? Teal can help you create personalized cover letters directly from your dashboard.
In your builder, select the Cover Letter icon:
Then you can match the job you’re working on to the cover letter you want to write:
And in a single click, your custom cover letter will appear like magic:
But just like all things that feel like magic, seeing is believing.
Want to test it out yourself? Use the AI Resume Builder to create your cover letter with AI in seconds.
Our thoughts on ChatGPT vs. Bard for resume creation
At the end of the day, both tools are similar in how you use them to build a resume. While some experts could argue that Bard gives better output than ChatGPT (or vice-versa), most consumers can get the basics of what they need from either tool when creating a resume.
The problem with Bard vs. ChatGPT for creating a resume isn’t necessarily the output (both tools are impressive). Instead, it’s the fact that you still need to format and structure your resume if you want to catch a hiring manager’s eye.
And neither ChatGPT nor Bard will help with how your resume looks.
This is why a better alternative is working with an AI-driven resume builder specifically designed to help you with each step along the way.
How to create a strategic resume with AI much faster
The best place to start is Teal’s AI Resume Builder.
This tool has all the features necessary to create targeted resumes and cover letters in minutes. Plus, we’ve added generative AI into the dashboard, so you can get help from AI without ever switching tabs.
And since we’re plugged into OpenAI’s API, you’re working with the same engine that powers ChatGPT.
Plus, you get access to other features like:
- A Job Application Tracker to keep you organized as you apply to multiple jobs
- The ability to autofill job applications to breeze through applications faster
- A Contacts Tracker to boost your network
At the end of the day, tools like Bard and ChatGPT should be used as helpful writing assistants. But if you’re serious about landing your dream job, you need a tool designed to help you stand out.
The good news? Experimenting with all of these platforms is completely free!
Sign up and try Teal and see how much it simplifies your job-searching life today!