This job is closed
We regret to inform you that the job you were interested in has now been closed. Although this specific position is no longer available, we encourage you to continue exploring other opportunities on our job board.
About the position
As a Research Engineer at OpenAI, you will be responsible for building AI systems that can perform previously impossible tasks or achieve unprecedented levels of performance. The role requires strong programming skills and experience working in large distributed systems. The job overview emphasizes the importance of engineering in major advances in AI and highlights the opportunity to work on a variety of teams conducting exploratory research and driving algorithmic and architectural advances on the critical path to AGI.
- Build AI systems that can perform previously impossible tasks or achieve unprecedented levels of performance
- Design, implement, and improve massive-scale distributed machine learning systems
- Write bug-free machine learning code
- Develop innovative solutions and open-ended research to solve real-world problems
- Conduct exploratory research and drive algorithmic and architectural advances on the critical path to AGI
- Fine-tune large language models to perform tasks in accordance with the user's intentions
- Explore learning from human feedback and assisting humans evaluating AI
- Research and develop AI programmers, the neural models that write, debug and improve computer programs
- Develop GPT advancements by exploring and forecasting future capabilities and resource needs
- Help models learn to solve problems in informal natural text and prove theorems in formal languages like Lean
- Measure the risks, benefits, and overall impact of AI technology on the world with an eye towards informing policies
- Build the model training software stack, solving problems at all layers of the stack including iteration speed, observability, compute efficiency, correctness, and fault detection and recovery
- Explore and understand the dynamics of training large models to guide both the training of current models and the trajectory of the next ones.
- Strong programming skills
- Experience working in large distributed systems
- Excitement about OpenAI's approach to research
- Interest in and thoughtfulness about the impacts of AI technology (nice to have)
- Past experience in creating high-performance implementations of deep learning algorithms (nice to have)
Dev & Engineering
This is some text inside of a div block.