This job is closed
We regret to inform you that the job you were interested in has now been closed. Although this specific position is no longer available, we encourage you to continue exploring other opportunities on our job board.
About the position
The job overview for the Radio Broadcaster position at AccuWeather is to broadcast impact-driven weather forecasts to AccuWeather radio stations and television stations/cable systems across the United States. The Radio Broadcaster will use individual creativity and "ad lib" techniques to tailor each AccuWeather radio report to the specific standards and needs of the station. They will also have certain management responsibilities when the supervisor is not working. The position can be based at AccuWeather's Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania or can be done remotely, with weekend shifts typically totaling 15-20 hours per week.
- Delivery of weather forecasts to radio stations and television stations/cable systems.
- Creation of different versions of forecasts using "ad lib" techniques and individual creativity to match vocal delivery and style to each particular client's needs.
- Editing of forecasts to ensure proper factual information, keeping with the clients’ needs.
- Social Media Posts for radio stations, posting the daily forecast and updating posts during severe weather events.
- Maintaining databases of pre-determined client schedules in order to keep on-schedule for delivery of forecasts and non-weather content.
- Being responsive to clients’ problems in order to resolve issues and deliver quality products.
- Delivery of non-weather content such as Soap Opera Updates to Audio Clients.
- Manipulation of content provided by News Writers and outside vendors for use by individual clients.
- Assumption of some supervisory responsibilities when the manager is absent.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA in Broadcasting and/or Broadcast Journalism and 1-3 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of the Radio Broadcast Industry is required
- Demonstrated ability in effectively communicating in the AP Broadcast style
- Demonstrated conversational, authoritative, and interesting voices and deliveries
- Strong communication skills to speak with AccuWeather meteorologist, journalists and other broadcasters
- Ability to creatively word factual information to fulfill clients’ needs
- Demonstrated problem-solver: Able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to work mathematical concepts specific to broadcasting, such as time calculations and "backtiming" are essential
- Able to prioritize job tasks in a coherent and logical manner
- Ability to interpret clients’ concerns and formulate appropriate responses, based on all factors
- Computer use is required
- Ability to create and post weather updates on social media – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
- Must be available to be on-call during one full workweek and one weekend, at least once a month (on a rotating schedule) to cover shifts with the radio team if unable to find a replacement. On-call involves round-the-clock coverage.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to creatively word factual information
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts specific to broadcasting
- Ability to prioritize job tasks
- Ability to interpret clients' concerns and formulate appropriate responses
- Computer use is required
- Ability to create and post weather updates on social media platforms
- On-call coverage required