How to Write an Impressive Resume Job Description That Gets Noticed (+12 Examples!)
As a job seeker, your resume is your professional narrative. And each section tells the story of who you are and what you've accomplished.
Arguably one of the most important chapters of that story is your Resume Job Description (also known as your Work Experience) section. But how do you format those details in an engaging way that helps you stand out in a crowded market—driving a hiring manager or recruiters to dig in deeper? How can you bring your work experience to life?
3 key takeaways
- What is a resume job description?
- Best practices for writing your job description achievements
- 12 examples of resume job descriptions
What is a resume job description?
A Resume Job Description, also known as your "Work History" is similar to the work experience section, is a crucial component of a well-crafted resume. And it plays a vital role in providing a comprehensive overview of your previous roles and responsibilities, specifically tailored to the job you're applying for.
Think of your job descriptions as concise summaries that highlight your previous job, title, company, and the key tasks, accomplishments, and skills you've developed throughout your career for each job. It's your opportunity to showcase your relevant experiences and qualifications to recruiters, hiring managers, and potential employers.
The best part? By including a detailed job description for your previous jobs, you can effectively communicate the value you bring to the table. It allows you to emphasize the specific impact you've had in previous roles and how it aligns with the requirements of the job you're pursuing.
Why is a resume job description important?
A resume job description is your specific employment history, and it's important because it:
Showcases Relevant Experience: Tailor your resume and your resume achievements to the role you're applying for using only your relevant experience to demonstrate how your past jobs align with the requirements of the role you're applying for. This helps hiring managers evaluate how qualified you are.
Provides a Comprehensive Overview: A comprehensive overview of your employment history helps a recruiter or hiring manager get a sense of the scope and impact of your previous positions—giving them insight into your key skills, capabilities, and potential contributions.
Differentiates You: In today's competitive job market, a well-written job description helps you stand out from other job seekers. It allows you to highlight your unique impact and accomplishments—setting your job application apart.
Quantifies Your Achievements: Highlighting resume accomplishments with metrics and results (like exceeding sales targets by a particular percentage or leading a successful project that increases revenue by a specific dollar amount), you can provide tangible evidence of your capabilities and impact.
Demonstrates Good Communication Skills: By clearly, concisely, and compellingly presenting your past roles and responsibilities, you demonstrate your ability to articulate information effectively (a valuable transferable skill in most professionals).
Potentially Matches Job Requirements: When tailored to the job you're applying for, the achievements in your job descriptions enable you to address the skills and qualifications potential employers seek directly. And this helps increase your chances of landing an interview. Watch the quick video below to learn more.
Best practices for writing your resume job description
Now that you understand what a resume job description is and why it's such an important part of your professional story, let's dive into some best practices for creating resume job descriptions that accurately represent your experience with clarity and impact.
1. Limit included years of relevant experience
How far back should your resume really go? Unless you're applying for a role as a C-suite level executive, it's best practice to limit your years of relevant experience to the past 10-15 years.
Limiting the number of jobs or years allows you to focus on your most recent and relevant professional experiences, which will likely be the most valuable for potential employers.
It also helps keep your resume concise and manageable. Remember, unless you're changing careers, recruiters and hiring managers are primarily interested in your recent accomplishments and skills directly related to the position you're applying for.
2. Include the same basic information for each company
Including the same basic information for each company in every resume job description maintains consistency throughout your resume. This basic information should include:
- Company name
- Your position or official job title
- Company location (or remote if applicable)
- Dates of your employment
- 3-5 job description achievements per job title
By presenting information in a uniform resume format, you create a professional and organized appearance, making it easier for hiring managers and recruiters to review and assess your work history.
Consistency also helps establish a clear career progression and narrative—enabling potential employers to compare your experiences across different organizations easily.
How long have you stayed with different companies? Has your career advanced? Where have you taken opportunities? When presented consistently, these patterns are easier to observe.
3. Include relevant achievements
Each of your job descriptions should have around three to five relevant achievements. And they should be formatted with resume bullet points—approximately three to five bullet points for each job description.
List these achievements based on the most impressive and relevant information, and rather than just listing job duties or job responsibilities and structure your bullet points to focus on specific accomplishments and results.
4. Show metrics and impact
Adding metrics to the achievements in your Resume Job Description section can help you stand out from other job seekers. They're measurable evidence of accomplishments and impact in previous roles, showcasing your incredible work.
When deciding which metrics to include, consider areas like:
- Revenue increased
- Money saved
- Process Improvements and the measurable impact
- Number of employees managed and the retention rate
- Process refinement and subsequent time saved
5. Use action verbs
The best action verbs for resume and work history make your experience more dynamic and engaging because they create a sense of, well, action.
Instead of using passive verbs, like "responsible for" or "assisted with," try words like achieved, exceeded, generated, improved, or optimized, and connect those verbs to measurable achievements.
6. Be honest
Being honest about your work experience is crucial. Honesty builds trust. And when you accurately represent your skills, responsibilities, and accomplishments, you establish credibility (and integrity).
Being honest also ensures a good fit between your qualifications and the requirements found in the job ad. By accurately portraying your previous positions, you offer potential employers a real look at your capabilities.
How to write your resume description and achievements with Teal
If you're struggling with writing job descriptions and achievements that showcase metrics and impact, the free Achievement Assistant within the Teal AI Resume Builder makes this process easy.
2. Navigate to the Resume Builder in the left panel.
3. From here, you can click the "New Resume" button at the top right to start a new resume or select the resume you want to add achievements for.
4. Scroll down to the Work Experience section. (This is also known as your Resume Job Description section.) Then click "Add Work Experience."
5. Now add the job you want to create achievements for. Every past job you list (as well as your current position) should be consistent. In this step, input your:
- Company name
- Company location
- Job title
- Start date
- End date (if applicable)
6. Next, click "Add an Achievement."
7. Now, you have two options. You can navigate to the Assistant tab at the top right to work through what you did, what metric you improved in what time frame, and how your action connects to your strategy. (Or just click the "Generate with AI button if you're stuck!)
Tailor your resume job descriptions to each job you're applying for
Your resume should align with the specific job posting of the role you're applying for. This means including relevant skills (hard skills and soft skills) and other important language in the key achievements of your Work Experience section.
So how do you find that information?
If you're already a Teal member, you can see the top five skills prospective employers are looking for in any job posting using the free Teal Job Application Tracker. Teal+ pulls unlimited skills, and language hiring managers are looking for with the click of a button.
12 job description examples
Below are some job description examples that highlight a diverse range of roles and responsibilities across various levels of experience.
These samples offer valuable insights and inspiration for crafting clear and compelling job descriptions—no matter where you are in your career.
Resume job description examples for entry-level roles
Junior Business Analyst
05/2021 – 11/2021
- Analyzed customer needs and developed business requirements documents, resulting in a 10% increase in customer satisfaction and improved alignment with customer expectations.
- Developed process models and workflow diagrams to support business requirements, resulting in a 20% increase in process efficiency and improved overall productivity.
- Developed and maintained project plans and timelines, resulting in a 15% increase in project completion rate and improved project management.
Entry Level Graphic Designer
6/2020 – 6/2022
- Art directed projects and pre-press operations, streamlining file production by 25%
- Developed storyboards and animation graphics for a variety of digital products with compelling visuals
- Created user interfaces, user experiences, and wireframes to ensure products effectively met customer needs
Junior Brand Marketer
11/2021 – 08/2022
- Collaborated with stakeholders to develop and execute comprehensive branding campaigns, resulting in a 14% increase in customer engagement
- Led the implementation of a customer feedback survey process, resulting in a 25% increase in response rate and providing valuable insights that informed brand strategies and led to a 9% improvement in customer satisfaction.
- Developed and presented a series of innovative brand messaging strategies, contributing to a 15% increase in market share.
Resume job description examples for mid-level roles
Human Resources Coordinator
6/2022 – Present
- Spearheaded the onboarding process of new hires, reducing onboarding time by 25%
- Assisted in developing a performance management and career development program
- Designed a cohesive employee recognition and reward system for staff retention contributing to a 26% increase in retention.
Full Stack Developer
02/2017 – 03/2019
- Developed and maintained a web application using React and Node.js, supporting a 50% increase in user traffic and a 15% increase in revenue over a one-year period.
- Optimized a web application for performance and scalability, resulting in a 40% reduction in page load time and a 20% increase in application speed.
- Collaborated with a cross-functional team to troubleshoot and debug a web application, resulting in a 90% reduction in application downtime and improved user satisfaction.
03/2022 – Present
Grammar Digital Publishing Co.
- Developed and implemented a new editorial style guide, resulting in a 25% reduction in editing time and an increase in content quality.
- Collaborated with authors to revise and improve content, resulting in a 15% increase in publication rates.
- Managed publication schedules and coordinated with other departments to ensure timely publication, resulting in a 10% increase in content delivery
Resume job description examples for senior-level roles
Senior Customer Success Manager
3/2022 – Present
- Spearheaded the development of over 700 customer success plans, resulting in an increase of customer onboarding success rate by 23%.
- Designed and developed a customer feedback survey program that generated an aggregate of 5,500+ responses over two months, driving customer satisfaction scores to an all-time high of 93%.
- Created tailored customer success webinars resulting in an 11% increase in product utilization by existing customers.
Senior Front-end Developer
07/2021 – Present
- Spearheaded the successful refactoring of the client-side web architecture to introduce a reliable SPA (Single Page Applications)
- Mentored junior developers while implementing cross-browser compatibility at the code level, resulting in a 50% increase in user satisfaction
Senior Growth Marketing Manager
3/2021 – Present
- Developed and implemented a successful digital marketing strategy that boosted website traffic, led to a 30% increase in conversion rate, and achieved an average increase of 40% in revenue from organic channels.
- Created and maintained an automated metrics dashboard to track the performance of all marketing campaigns to monitor key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Optimized existing campaigns with A/B and multivariate testing, leading to a 25% increase in engagement and a 12% decrease in CPA
Bonus: Creating job descriptions with no work experience
Resume writing with no professional experience might seem daunting. But don't get overwhelmed just yet. You don't necessarily need a job title to impress prospective employers.
Think about your life experience up to this point.
Were you involved in student organizations? Did you do any volunteer work? How about unpaid internships, certifications, or projects?
These experiences are fundamental. And the many skills you picked up along the way are transferable—helping get your resume noticed by a hiring manager or recruiter.
So let's take a look at some examples of resume job descriptions that don't focus exclusively on work history.
Resume job description examples with no work experience
Senior Graphic Design Project
- Received a 98% grade by increasing Miami Senior High School Annual Charity Walkathon attendance by 30%. Collaborated with a team of four and designed marketing materials such as posters, flyers, and social media graphics using Adobe Creative Suite to promote the event and encourage attendance.
- Received 100% positive feedback from school administration and attendees.
Volunteer, Local Humane Society
March 2021 - Present
- Assisted in caring for animals by feeding, grooming, and exercising daily, ensuring their well-being and promoting a positive environment.
- Supported the humane society's adoption events by organizing and maintaining a welcoming and clean adoption area, increasing the chances of successful adoptions.
- Collaborated with fellow volunteers to create engaging content for the organization's social media platforms, promoting animal adoption and raising awareness among the local community.
Marketing Intern, Katie Rose Boutique
May 2022 - August 2022
- Conducted market research and competitor analysis, providing valuable insights that informed the development of targeted marketing strategies and contributed to a 10% increase in customer engagement.
- Assisted in creating compelling social media content and managing social media accounts, resulting in a 20% growth in follower count and improved brand visibility within the local community.
- Collaborated with the marketing team to optimize website content and implement SEO techniques, leading to a 15% increase in organic website traffic and improved search engine rankings.
Ready to write resume job descriptions?
Your resume job descriptions are an important part of your professional story. And now that you know how to craft the most effective job descriptions that connect each chapter and grab the attention of hiring managers and recruiters, don't stop here!
Get started using the Teal AI Resume Builder today and seamlessly incorporate your experiences into your resume—elevating your chances of standing out in today's competitive job market.