8 Climate Change Careers to Save The Planet
If you care about the well-being of the environment, you may opt for a climate change career. As you’re likely aware, climate change is having a huge effect on the lives of many. According to NASA, 2019 is the second warmest year on record. With such extreme climatic conditions, there is a demand for a career that can help combat climate change.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for environmental scientists and specialists is 8% growth. There are many career paths that you can choose when it comes to climate change. If you are thinking of switching careers or are just graduating from college, you can look into a climate change career.
Keep reading for more information.
Impactful Climate Change Careers for You
Below is a list of climatic change careers that you may find interesting:
#1. Atmospheric Scientist
- The median salary (2020) of an atmospheric scientist was $99,745 per year according to the U.S.Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- With a bachelor’s degree in atmospheric science, you can become an atmospheric scientist. In order to research, you need to do a Ph.D. or a Master’s.
- You will be working indoors and occasionally outdoors and the responsibilities include studying the weather and climate.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay (2020) of a geoscientist was $93,580 per year.
- You can get a bachelor’s degree in geoscience or a related field. As a geoscientist, you work both indoors and outdoors.
- A geoscientist studies Earth from various aspects, for example, studying the structure of Earth, examining fossils, and so much more.
#3. Conservation Scientist And Forester
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay (2020) of a conservation scientist and forester was $64,010 per year.
- You can get a bachelor’s degree in forestry or a related field.
- In this profession, you are overseeing forestry and working for the better quality of natural resources, parks, forests, and so much more.
#4. Urban And Regional Planners
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay (2020) of urban and regional planners was $75,950 per year.
- For becoming urban planners and regional planners you need to have a master’s degree and it has to be from an accredited planning program.
- As an urban and regional planner, you will be devising plans and programs that are for the betterment of your community.
#5. Environmental Engineer
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay (2020) of an environmental engineer was $92,120 per year.
- An individual needs to have a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, or related.
- An environmental engineer will help find effective solutions to environmental problems using knowledge-based on engineering principles, chemistry, and so much more.
#6. Environmental Lawyer
- If you are an environmental lawyer then according to PayScale, the average salary (Oct 2021) for environmental law is $120,000 per year.
- You need to have an undergraduate degree, pass LSAT exams, graduate with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree. You have to take the bar exam in your state and then apply for the relevant positions.
- As an environmental lawyer, you will be providing legal guidance to your clients on issues and topics related to the environment.
#7. Sustainability Consultants
- According to PayScale (Oct 2021), sustainability consultants earn $67,699 per year.
- According to a survey conducted by Zippia based on analyzing 411 sustainability consultant resumes, the bachelor’s degree was the most common at 66%. You can study sustainability, environmental studies, and even business.
- A sustainability consultant works with companies and businesses to help them become environmentally friendly. In the long term, a corporation may be able to save some money with the help of such professionals.
#8. Environmental Scientists And Specialists
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay (2020) of environmental scientists and specialists was $73,230 per year
- You need to get a bachelor’s degree in environmental science or natural sciences for this profession.
- Environmental scientists and specialists use their knowledge of natural sciences to work for the betterment of the environment and play an active role in human health.
Frequently Asked Questions
There could be tons of questions on your mind about the climate change careers, let’s discuss a few.
What should you study for a career in climate change?
The extreme weather conditions and concern for the future may push you to study for a career in climate change. You can opt for environmental science, environmental law, geology, renewable energy, and a lot more. There are many options for you in climate change careers. You can check the graduate program offered in your area as well.
What companies are fighting climate change?
The purpose of fighting climate change is to make this world a better place. Companies such as Beyond Meat are trying to change the world by introducing meat-free burgers that are plant-based. HP is trying to develop energy-efficient equipment and has committed to eliminating 75% of plastic packaging (single use) by 2025 (in comparison to 2018). Tesla is an excellent example of a company popularizing environmental sustainability.
What job can I do to save the planet?
You can get a graduate degree in environmental sciences or a related field. It depends on what your goals are! You can become an environmental engineer, an environmental lawyer, a geologist, and so much more.
What environmental jobs are in demand?
According to the balance careers, you may opt for green dream jobs such as the chief sustainability officer having an annual median salary of $104,690. You can also become an environmental lawyer and expect an annual median salary of $122,960. The salaries may vary depending on the year, location, and other such factors. The job options available above can guide you better.
What are corporations doing to combat global warming?
You may hear of solar panels, wind turbines, and a lot more when it comes to saving energy. A corporation can play an active role in reducing energy consumption, reducing waste, pollution, and a lot more.
What can engineers do to save the environment?
You may opt for a graduate degree in engineering without realizing how important an engineer can be for the world. Engineers impact the environment by shaping the world in a better way. They work for the betterment of the environment and can find innovative solutions to the problems faced by the world.
Taking care of the Earth is our responsibility. It’s high time to do something for the well-being of the environment. A career change may help! So if you are looking for a change, you can look into climate change careers and see if you find something of interest.
If you’re searching for a job in climate change, use Teal’s Job Tracker to manage your job search.