Interview Question: Why Do You Think You Are Qualified For This Position?
It's almost certain you will be asked to speak about your qualifications for a role during a job interview. Talking about yourself is one of the hardest things for candidates to do, but it is totally essential. It might make you nervous and throw you off from what you really wanted to say at first, so we're here to help you prepare the best answer for why you are qualified for the position.
Focus on your qualifications. The interviewer will want to know about your work experience and valuable skills.
You may want to bring some notes along with your resume. Don't read directly from your notes, but have them to reference if you get stuck or nervous.
What the interviewer wants to know
You may be asked about your qualifications for the job because employers want to find out if you're a suitable candidate for the position. You got an interview based on your tailored resume, so the company knows you have the abilities to fill the job posting requirements. By answering the question about why you think you're qualified for the position, you are letting the hiring team know if you will also be a good fit for the role and an asset in the workplace.
Make sure you are clear on your hard and soft skills so your interview answers can stand out among other applicants. Use Teal’s Skills Database in the free Skills Workbook to identify your current skills and potential skills that you want to acquire. Once you've identified those, enter them into Teal’s Skills Identifier.
The best answers to: What are your qualifications?
Tailor any answers to match your background and the position you are applying for. It's a good idea to give an example of previous work or experience with these statements. It will provide context for the interviewer which makes your answer stronger and easier to remember.
- In my previous job, I successfully managed a team of five people.
- I work well under pressure and can handle a fast-paced environment.
- I have excellent time management skills and can meet given deadlines.
- I spent the last three years overseeing a multi-million-dollar budget.
- My experience at my last company has set me up for this next opportunity.
- My skills have prepared me to handle stressful situations.
- In my last two jobs, I never missed a sales goal.
- My education background and my upskilling in the XYZ field provide me with a deeper understanding of maintaining customer satisfaction.
Preparing for a job interview outside of the corporate world
If you are applying for a job outside of an office, you may want to change your approach when you answer. Take some time to think about your talents and what makes you the best person for this next role.
Pay attention to the job description on the company's website. Make sure you practice so you know how you want to answer the interviewer's questions.
If you are switching industries or starting a new career, focus on past experiences and unique skills you have learned. Just because you haven't done everything this role is looking for doesn't mean you aren't qualified. Tell your potential employers what you like about working in their field. You can also reference your education on your resume, if it's relevant to the industry.
You can share your knowledge of the job even if you haven't actually performed the task before. Give specific examples of volunteer work or experience at your last job that makes you a strong candidate. The skills you acquired in the past might be more relevant to this job than you think.
Within Teal's Job Application Tracker is a super helpful “Notes” tool to track and update your interview questions and answers for each saved job. It pulls up next to the job description, making it easy to pull all the necessary keywords. Make any edits and additions you need, and your changes will be saved automatically.
Interview question and answer examples in various industries
Why do you want to work in retail?
- I have worked in retail in the past and have had great success.
- I am qualified based on my experience in college.
- My skills match up with the qualities you are looking for.
What makes you qualified to work in a restaurant?
- One of my first jobs was in a restaurant, and it sparked my passion.
- I enjoy serving customers.
- I work well when I'm interacting with people and not sitting behind a desk all day.
What experience do you have that is relevant to the responsibilities of this marketing role?
- I have experience managing social media campaigns, executing email marketing strategies, and creating content for websites and landing pages.
- I have five years of experience in the field of marketing.
- I am well-versed in SEO and have experience in analytics.
How do you think your qualifications in the healthcare industry will continue to the success of the company?
- I have experience leading teams of medical professionals.
- I have been responsible for developing and implementing policies and procedures that have improved patient safety and satisfaction.
- I am familiar with the latest best practices, regulations, and standards in the industry.
What unique qualities do you bring to the table that make you stand out as a candidate for this teaching position?
- I have a great passion for education and teaching and am able to effectively communicate with with students, parents, coworkers, and administration.
- I am a highly organized, adaptable and creative teacher. I have a great ability to take a standard lesson and adapt it to the particular needs of my students.
- I believe my ability to integrate technology into my teaching practice, and my willingness to continuously learn about new technologies will be an asset to the classroom.
Why do you think you are the best candidate for this engineering role?
- I am well-versed in the latest industry techniques, such as modeling and simulation, and I am an expert in using various engineering software and tools.
- I have a track record of delivering projects on-time and on-budget, which I believe makes me the best candidate for this engineering role.
- I am a results-driven and innovative engineer, with the ability to think outside the box and come up with new solutions to problems.
How do your skills align with the requirements of this human resources position?
- I have several years of experience in the human resources field, and have honed my skills in recruiting, talent management, and employee relations.
- I am a highly organized and detail-oriented individual, which I believe aligns well with the requirements of this human resources position.
- I have experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, which aligns well with the requirements of this human resources position.
Can you walk me through the process of your previous experiences and how they have made you the right candidate for this sales role today?
- In my previous sales experience, I was responsible for managing a territory and building relationships with key customers.
- As an experienced sales professional, I have a strong track record of consistently achieving and exceeding sales targets.
- I have experience in using sales tools like CRM to manage and report sales activities.
No matter what industry or company you are interviewing with, you will have to show that you are the most qualified candidate for the job. Every interviewer will have more interview questions about your experience and skills. Keep your answer personal and be sure to highlight areas you excel in.
Avoid responses that are too fluffy or generic. Offer something the employer hasn't heard before that makes you stand out from the other candidates.
We highly suggest that you practice your interview answers before the interview. Within Teal's Job Application Tracker are tips and resources to help you practice interviewing.
Remember, you have great skills and a company would be lucky to have you. It may take a few interviews to find where you really fit in well though. Stay positive and don't rush your decision. You will know when the position is right for you, so be patient.
After the interview, make sure you follow up with each person you spoke with and thank them for the interview opportunity. This shows professionalism and keeps you top of mind and at the top of their inbox.
Located within Teal's Job Application Tracker are templates to use as a starting point when crafting a thoughtful follow up email following an interview.