- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 2+ years of experience managing large services/infrastructure
- Knowledge of Linux system administration and automation
- Strong background in computer network security, performance, and capacity planning
- Considerable experience with one or more configuration management (Ansible, Puppet, Chef) or infrastructure management tools (Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Familiarity with containerization runtimes (Docker, rkt)
- Experience deploying and maintaining large-scale monitoring and logging systems (Zabbix, Nagios, ELK, Splunk)
- Scripting experience with Python and Bash
- Automate the deployment and management of Duolingo software services
- Monitor for performance and security anomalies
- Participate in weekly on-call rotations
- Streamline operational and development practices
- Analyze current costs and plan for future growth
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience managing a large infrastructure on AWS or Google Cloud
- Experience implementing continuous integration pipelines in Jenkins
- The ability to configure and troubleshoot enterprise-grade routers, switches, and wireless access points
- Extensive experience with relational and no-SQL database management
About this position
Continuously improve Duolingo’s infrastructure through automation and monitoring.
As an Operations Engineer, you will use and develop cutting-edge tools to enable growth and stability across all Duolingo services and platforms. You will also act as an advisor for how to best utilize these tools internally to properly deploy, manage, monitor, and control the costs of production services.
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.