Principal, Opto-Mechanical Engineering, Augmented Reality Devices
Magic Leap, Inc.
August 25, 2023
This job is closed
We regret to inform you that the job you were interested in has now been closed. Although this specific position is no longer available, we encourage you to continue exploring other opportunities on our job board.
About the position
This is a hands-on technical manager role at Magic Leap, leading a small team of opto-mechanical engineers. The role involves delivering novel designs for compact imaging and display systems, as well as unique optical metrology and alignment solutions. The manager will be responsible for directing and coordinating activities involved in design, fabrication, testing, and production. The ideal candidate is a strong collaborator with a technical background, interested in splitting their time between technical work and people management. This role is based in Boulder, CO.
- Provide leadership to the opto-mechanical team (team of 5-6) as well as be able to serve as an individual contributor in a hands-on and versatile role.
- Support the design and development of next generation product hardware, metrology systems, and prototype assembly equipment and fixturing.
- Design components using Creo CAD software, generate prints, and interface with fabrication vendors for procurement of components.
- Provide hands-on support for prototype assembly, test and metrology, and other activities required to meet the team and company goals.
- Drive development in sync with high-level product goals (eg. build schedule, budget, cycle time, performance, etc.).
- Drive collaboration between organizations to bridge communication gaps, clarify requirements, identify risks, sync dependencies, and support transparent exchange of data.
- Willingness to travel to other Magic Leap locations as required for workshops.
- Exhibit confidence in a highly dynamic and creative environment, identify short and long-term solutions, continued system improvements and cost reductions, confidently schedule work, and close issues in a timely manner.
- Independently pursue new skills/knowledge as needed to complete projects and drive the team to do the same.
- Manage multiple concurrent engineering projects, including scheduling, budgeting, and resource allocation.
- Exercise compassionate leadership, communicate clear performance expectations, and coach the team towards independence.
- Identify and communicate strengths and development areas in others, ensure activities are prioritized and provide appropriate exposure to members of the team.
- Champion our diverse and inclusive values.
- 10-15+ years relevant experience in developing compact imaging system product solutions
- Strong knowledge of optical and mechanical test and metrology systems
- Leadership skills to lead a team of opto-mechanical engineers
- Ability to serve as an individual contributor in a hands-on and versatile role
- Proficiency in using Creo CAD software for designing components
- Experience in generating prints and interfacing with fabrication vendors for component procurement
- Hands-on support for prototype assembly, test, and metrology activities
- Ability to drive development in sync with high-level product goals
- Strong collaboration skills to bridge communication gaps and clarify requirements
- Willingness to travel to other Magic Leap locations for workshops
- Confidence in a highly dynamic and creative environment
- Ability to independently pursue new skills/knowledge as needed
- Project management skills to manage multiple concurrent engineering projects
- Compassionate leadership and ability to communicate clear performance expectations
- Ability to identify and communicate strengths and development areas in team members
- Championing diverse and inclusive values.
- Competitive salary range ($140,000-$195,000)
- Discretionary bonus
- Fully comprehensive benefits package
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Independent pursuit of new skills and knowledge
- Management of multiple concurrent engineering projects
- Compassionate leadership and clear performance expectations
- Coaching and development opportunities for team members
- Championing diverse and inclusive values
- Strong technical understanding at a system level
- Task planning and project coordination skills
- Fast-paced product development environment
- Experience in developing virtual reality or augmented reality platforms and products (a plus)
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering, or similar (Master's degree preferred)
Dev & Engineering
This is some text inside of a div block.